Monday, February 13, 2017

The Grammys!!




Sorry I am too old to watch the Grammys like I used to when I was young because I have hit that age where I constantly holler at the TV "WHO IS THAT???".

So I do what a lot of people do. Wait for Twitter to tell me whats up.

Last night at the Grammys was a duel between Beyonce and Adele. Adele I guess won and then refused to accept it. Well at least Kanye didnt run up onstage to rant about the apparent screw job. Who is better? I have no idea cuz I dont listen to either cuz like I said before I am old.

Two guys in their underwear accepted an award for something. Some du.o called the Chainsmokers accepted an award on behalf of David Bowie which I am glad I missed cuz I would have been hollering again. There was a saccharin tribute to the Bee Gees which I missed. The only time I turned it on live I saw some guy named Sturgill Simpson begin a song by twanging and I was gone.

But two moments occurred that I have now seen numerous times via the internet. One was A Tribe Called Quest, a rap group from back when guys like Chuck D and NWA actually did songs that mattered. When Busta Rhymes came out and bellowed about "President Agent Orange" I was hooked.

"I wanna thank President Agent Orange for perpetuating all the evil that you’ve been perpetuating throughout the United States."
"I wanna thank President Agent Orange for your unsuccessful attempt at the Muslim ban."

"But we come together. We the people!"

Thats what shows like this need.

But Lady Gaga and Metallica. Oh my god. Two weeks in a row I have seen an entertainer I didnt give a rats ass about perform and sit there with my mouth gaping open. Now Metallica is one of my music gods and the news that Gaga was going to sing with them intrigued me. When Twitter warned me what was up I had to see it. Moth Into Flame.

James Hetfield's mic did not work. But thank the gods Gaga's did. I may have become the straightest Gaga fan ever now that I know she could fucking tour with them and actually make them better. Unlike Lou Reed, who made them unlistenable, GaGa turned from gay icon into heavy metal goddess belting out Moth Into Flame and turning Metallica into something new. I felt like it was 1983 again and I was hearing Seek and Destroy for the first time. Goddam, Lady Gaga, where have I been all your life?

No comments: