Friday, November 20, 2009

I'd Poke You In The Chest If I Could Walk Over There!

A few years back here at the University of Nebraska, an egomaniac athletic director named Steve Pederson got all full of himself and fired a diminutive, successful football coach named Frank Solich for reasons only Pederson knows. Well it's deja vu all over again in Lawrence, Kansas where an egomanicac athletic director is trying to fire a really big, successful football coach named Mark Mangino. Hey Kansas, don't go down that road or you'll be stuck with your own version of "The Callahan Years'.

This brings me to the 450 lb. football coach in the room. Being fat. I've been fat, I've been not fat, I've been skinny. Currently I am really tubby but trying to be better and reduce to single seat on the airplane status. In case the picture doesn't scream the obvious at you, Mark Mangino is really fat. Mangino hasn't been any smaller than that in the many years he's coached at Kansas. He makes over a million dollars per year, yet sees nothing wrong about his girth or he'd spend a bit of that money to get healthy. Mangino is 53 years old. He is going to drop dead sooner than necessary lugging that weight around. Personally, I don't laugh at him like most people. I am concerned for him.


Mark Mangino is the best football coach in the Big 12 conference, in my opinion. He is a master strategist and gets more out of what he has to work with than anybody. There is no reason to fire this guy. True, Kansas is losing right now (5-5) but it's not Mangino's fault. Blame the Big 12 schedule makers who make KU play Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech in the same year all the time. So why is Mangino on the hot seat? He poked a player in the chest with his finger? He yelled at a player? He swears? He is a big meanie? I say a lot of it is because of his size. A big, gruff Italian guy waddling along the sideline isn't the image KU wants. KU wants the trim, golf pro looking guy. The problem is they've had a LOT of those guys scratching their visor-wearing heads over the years and they all lost a lot. Mangino wins. Period.

Kansas athletic director Steve Pederson, uhhhhhhhh, Lew Perkins is setting Mangino up to lose this battle. Former KU players, recruited by Perkins, are coming out of the woodwork to say Mangino hollered at them and made them cry. It's a setup to get rid of the fat man. As a fellow fat guy, I'm in Mangino's corner. But c'mon Mark, at least try to grab a salad every now and then.

Now I am off to watch our own skinnier, whacko Italian football coach, Bo Pelini. scream and holler and poke guys in the chest and make them cry. The difference is Pelini is winning. And he weighs about my size less than Mangino.

1 comment:

Jack Jodell said...

Like skin color, religious belief, or the type of music one prefers, physical size doesn't and shouldn't matter in the least when evaluating a coach's job performance. I was a string bean for many years. From age 15 through about 35, I stayed glued to a weight of 135-140 lbs. Now, 20 years later, my metabolism has slowed, my inherited pot belly has become evident, and I'm up to 215 lbs and still only 5'6" tall. And I don't fret over it or give a damn in the least. I strongly question the reasoning ability and judgment of those who sum up others solely on the basis of weight or appearance.

Oddly enough, in less prosperous times, when only the rich could afford lots of food, obesity was looked up favorably and in a desirable and admirable light. My, how times change with circumstance! I say, eat, drink, and be merry to all. And, while 415 lbs. IS an unhealthy weight, it is not a determining factor in anyone's ability and should be a moot point. Who cares? Mind your own business and get a life, detractors! That belly is bought and paid for, and a lot of enjoyment went into building it...