Saturday, November 1, 2008

So Long Studs!

Another of my favorite authors died this weekend. Studs Terkel, the fantastic listener and author, lasted until age 96 before leaving this earth deft of yet another genius.

You all now his works on race, working stiffs, and the wonderful oral history of WW II, The Good War. If not, he played the crusty old sportswriter in the best baseball movie ever, John Sayles' Eight Men Out. Studs Terkel was an American original. The guy was impossible to dislike.

Vonnegut, Wallace, Mailer, Studs. All gone now. Damn.

4 comments:

Just Kevin... said...

Well, at least Jackie Collins is till alive!

I'm kidding! Really! I'm really kidding!

Anonymous said...

True, but she's no Danielle Steeele

Project Christopher said...

I should know... but wasn't Studs from Chicago? I haven't read anything of his (sorry) but I have heard wonderful things about him. 96 was a long period to influence the world.

Now on to the mud wrestling match between Jackie Colins and Danielle Steele

Anonymous said...

you are correct, Studs was a Chicago guy. Said he hated the city almost as much as he loved it.