Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Can't He Move In Early?

I sobbed last night. Now that's not really much for me to admit, since I cry when a new bookstore opens somewhere close to me. But really sobbing is rare. The Rodney King riots made me sob. The death of George Harrison made me sob. The death of my Dad made me sob. The birth of Max made me sob. The death of my dog, Pete, made me sob and last night, when Barack Obama spoke, I sobbed. Go ahead and call me a wuss, but the sight of a million people cheering, Jesse Jackson crying, and Barack Obama making me feel like I've never felt before as an adult, hopeful and proud for America, made me sob. It was a short one, but it was a sob. A happy sob.

It's all about Max. Being born into this world is rough and things are not getting better. I am scared for him. For the last eight years, and especially the last five, I have nightmares about kids Max's age dying in foreign wars so some selfish dink can drive a Hummer. I have nightmares of kids with no hope turning to drugs and crime and turning into lost human beings rotting in jails. I have nightmares of kids turning against my generation for bankrupting them and forcing them to support our narcissism. I have nightmares...........

Bobby Kennedy was an inspiration to so many before they killed him. I was too young to really know what that kind of inspiration meant. I am still haunted by his murder to this day. It's more of an 11 year old being shocked by the senselessness of it all that burnt into my memory bank than the death of hope like it was to people 10 years older than me.

Last night was my Bobby Kennedy. After years of failed leadership and disappointment, could this really be different? Is Barack Obama the guy? Jesus, I hope so. When Bill Clinton won in 92, I wasn't as happy about his election as I was happy to see conservatives squirm. It was so much Schadenfreude back then. Last night I couldn't have cared less about Republican despair. Screw them. I was hopeful for this country. 24 hours later, I still am.

This cynical SOB is ready to chant. Yes We Can! Thank you America!

2 comments:

Just Kevin... said...

Bro! I went to the musical, Spring Awakening, at the Ahmanson last night and while that may seem like the GAYEST thing to do on an historic night, I kept thinking about Dad. Dad who loved opera, musicals and common sense liberalism. How he'd love to be down at the club or the Holiday ribbing his conservative friends today. I even miss Pete sometimes.

Max's Dad said...

oh yeah, he and Jack Grant would have loved last night. They'd have been top dogs and taken full advantage.