Thursday, January 28, 2010

You Can't Stay Neutral On A Moving Train!

Way back when I was in college at the University of Nebraska, a history professor of mine, knowing of my love of the subject, took me aside and said to me "ya know this is all bullshit, right?" "What's bullshit?" I asked. The prof, just another liberal academic to most of the student body in Lincoln, said "This! History! It's all crap. You want to know what really happened in this country, read this". He handed me a copy of Howard Zinn's "People's History of the United States". I took it home and read it all night. And the next night and on and on (it's a long book). Howard Zinn told the story of America from the little guy's perspective. How the people, or "folks" as Bill O'Reilly refers to them, got screwed over time after time in the nation's history. No more cherry trees and log cabins and noble causes. I was hooked on THIS type of history. The truth.



Howard Zinn died today in California at age 87. I say goodbye to one of the greatest American patriots who ever lived. The status quo be damned and to hell with consequences . Howard was the way I wish all our leaders were. Gutsy and fierce in his beliefs. Oh there's a person of substance or two out there (Sanders and Grayson) , but most of these people are weinies and cowards.



Yeah I know J.D. Salinger went bye-bye today too but other than Catcher in the Rye, what did he ever do to better your mind? Howard Zinn bettered mine, or destroyed it depending on your point of view.



One of the greatest things ever said can be attributed to Howard Zinn. To paraphrase, he said nobody ever dies for their country in war, they die for the politicians who duped them and the corporations who make the money. Bingo!



So long, Professor Zinn. You can check out the DVD, "You Can't Be Neutral On a Moving Train" to see and hear Zinn and his fans. Trust me, no O'Reilly or Hannity will be found on it. Just "folks".

1 comment:

Manifesto Joe said...

I recall old wisdom that "History is written by the winners."

But Mr. Zinn illustrated that even they can't bury some things. One can eventually find honest people who were paying attention at any given time.