Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why Can't I Quit You?



I have no idea what's going on here but over 9,000 people, including some females, packed the old Civic Auditorium to watch whatever it is. Ok, I know it's Ultimate Fighting and it's all the rage among the people who have figured out professional wrestling is fake yet think boxing, with all that Marquis of Queensbury rules junk, is for sissies.

Ultimate Fighting is for lack of a better word, a street brawl which would bring the SWAT team running if it happened out on Capitol Avenue. But these 9.000 people, including some females, actually like watching two human beings (I assume) pummel each other into a bloody pulp and crawl around in very homo-erotic positions on the mat. In fact, they get so close I'm surprised Fred Phelps and his inbreds didn't show up to protest.

Watching it in bits and pieces on the Spike (how manly) Channel, I have concluded that the sport not only suffers from a brutality only a true sadist could enjoy, but it also suffers from the ultimate sin. It's freakin' boring. Once the two doofuses in the octagon hit the floor and start crawling on each other it turns into real wrestling. The kind with singlets and headgear and really short squat guys, not the steroidfest with the huge actors. Let me tell you one thing. If there's another sport in the world that is more sleep inducing, ok golf is worse, it has to be wrestling. I know because I've participated in it. I wrestled for a few weeks in high school. It bored me when I was actually fending off some mouth breather checking my oil, so I can't imagine watching it.

Some say it's illegal under Nebraska law. Really? Punching a guy in the face, kicking him in the taint, choking the life out of him is illegal? I'll bet the 9,000 people, including some females, would want the government out of the ass-kicking business. That is, if they knew there was some sort of government.

No comments: