Saturday, March 14, 2009

16,000 Douchebags Walk Into An Arena!

Dane Cook is coming to town. If you have no idea who Dane Cook is, well, congrats on your ignorance or good fortune. Dane Cook is a comedian. allegedly. I know nobody over the age of 35 who thinks this guy is even remotely amusing and I know of no people under the age of 35 who don't think he's hilarious. In fact, I know of 20 somethings forking out $102 each to sit up close and pee their pants. $102? A comedian? Any comedian? $102? Is there a recession or not?

Anyway, this isn't a Dane Cook rant. I couldn't care less if you think he's funny. Funny is the most subjective thing on earth. But if Groucho Marx, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and Lenny Bruce all popped back to life and went on tour, I wouldn't pay $102 to see them. Well yes I would but that is irrelevant. This is Dane Cook for chrissakes. I don't get it. Have I gotten old and unhip? Well of course I have but again, irrelevant. My Dane Cook rant is over.

4 comments:

Just Kevin... said...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...but you admitted to thinking the PT cruiser is cool. That proved you were old and unhip! But before you get on me...I had to utube Dane Cook to say he wasn't funny.

Signed---Old and Unhip

Max's Dad said...

Haha. Dane Cook used to have an HBO show which followed him around and the packed arenas just floored me. But then so did a packed arena for a guy with an arrow through his head back in 1976. PT Cruisers are cool, so are VW Bugs, old school not nu skool, and so is Benny Goodman, young feller!

Project Christopher said...

MD, you said something VERY observant. "Funny is the most subjective thing on earth"
Dane Cook used to be "funny for us" meaning you would have wet your pants if you'd seen him when he first hit the microphone. But it wasn't getting him anywhere. So he fine tuned his target (audience) and there you go! I think you'll find that any comic that is very early 20's or targets that audience (like Dane) would be like that. He's playing to his audience. Years ago when I took my first stand up class there were these 3 college age guys and I swear their sets were centered around pooping and peeing. (and usually how their ability to do it properly or without aim was impaired by ___fill in the blank___. Not funny even in the first 2 seconds.
It doesn't make you old and unhip not to like him, but consider him the George Carlin of this age group. Not saying he's as deep as George, but consider what your parents and their age group thought of Carlin when he was young.
As for the $102 tickets... can you imagine Dane Cook on stage, looking down at those seats and thinking "buncha dumbasses, you just paid for my hooker tonight with those overpriced seats!" :)

He's funny enough, but his smart decision in finding the audience that he has is even better. (and he's a looker :) )

Max's Dad said...

PC-I see your point. He's either very smart or he's just not funny. I guess I hear his jokes and say "heard it in 1972". Every new generation needs it's funny guys whom they relate to.But will he be around in 2020?