Friday, January 16, 2009

Just Two Kids Hugging! Nothing To See Here!

It's been a rough week, or rather a rough 9 months, or 5 years, or 85 years for that matter for Max's Dad's mom, who passed away last Monday after deciding she'd had enough pain and suffering for a lifetime. Charlene, my mom, worked full time to age 84 as an executive secretary for a Rotary Club here in Omaha. It was her life. She worked through my Dad's illnesses, his death, her own lung cancer, her second lung cancer, her chronic breathing problems, and right up through her first broken hip suffered in May of 2008. Pneumonia began to call her damaged lung home after that. She went through at least four bouts with it. Then she broke the other hip in September of 2008 and the life began to drain. She was forced to retire. Retire? Are you speaking Japanese here? The woman, never one to stop moving, couldn't move any longer. Forced to sit in a chair, have help getting up, and missing out on dinners and lunches and golf and Rotary meetings and fun, could feel the life leaving her. I could see it in her face. I could hear it in her voice. The same lack of energy I heard in my Dad's voice had entered Mom's voice. It's not something you ever want to hear.

Last Saturday, in the hospital, full of infections and pneumonia and shingles and a general exhaustion, Charlene decided it was time to stop fighting. Treated with dignity and respect by the folks at Lakeside Hospital, and eventually by the saints who work at the Hospice House, Charlene passed away around 7 pm on Monday, January 12th, 2009. I was not there. I couldn't be there. My Mom actually passed away, metaphorically, the night she broke her hip in May of 2008. Oh what a life you had, Charlene. Congratulations. We love you.

Oh yeah, forget about that age thing. She was in denial right up to the end. She was the same age as Max. Trust me on this one.

2 comments:

Just Kevin... said...

Mom had a plan and she made it happen over the last few months. Always one to make sure she wasn't a burden, she chose to go to hospice when she realized that she wasn't ever going to have that old energy she'd always had. She was a mom to the end! I know in my heart of hearts that she knew I needed to be there when she passed or at least close after she passed. She gave me that final gift. What a great woman!

Project Christopher said...

I only had the opportunity to meet her face to face once and I'm very glad for that opportunity. I remember how surprised Kevin was that she told me her age. When he told me why she never told people, I could understand, but was still in awe to hear the number 84 come out of her mouth. She was a very cool lady and I'm glad you all were with her in this final period. She was a special lady for sure!