Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Damar Hamlin & The NFL!!


 I did not see it live as since the invention of Red Zone I cannot watch an entire NFL football game. I was watching Kindred(so good).When I turned it over and saw the ambulance on the field, the players on their haunches praying, the fans silent, the announcers acting as if someone had died and Damar Hamlin being taken to the hospital I couldn't stop watching. This was literally hours after a college bowl game where two helmets collided and I said out loud "Football has become too fucking dangerous" and suggested the old leather helmet solution. As I age, I hate the game more and more.

Damar Hamlin is by all accounts one helluva man at age 24. I hope he gets well, so well he plays again if that's what he wants. I also hope his annual Toy Drive to get poor children new toys for Christmas gets even bigger with its 6 Million dollars in pledges. That night should have been all about the player who had suffered cardiac arrest and almost died on a field but lets face it. This is America and all that matters to the NFL is business. Money.

The NFL played games in 1963 two days after the assassination of John Kennedy because "he would have wanted it that way" . And Monday night, even though the NFL now denies it, the announcers stated the NFL would give the players 5 minutes to warm up and the the game would resume because there's money to be made. If the NFL did not say that, well then ESPN announcers and Joe Buck are lying? Of course they said that, why else would it be a thing?

But then something happened I never thought I'd see. Instead of meekly complying and saying yes sir as is the trend has been for oh 100 years. Zac Taylor, the Bengal coach, waved his hands and ran across the field to speak with Bills coach Sean McDermott  where I assume the conversation went something along the lines of we aren't fucking playing are you fucking playing? To which I assume McDermott said fuck no we aren't playing. And at that point something happened that had never happened before. The players had the upper hand and they used it. The game was suspended by the league. I cannot say for sure or not if the NFL asked fans with football experience to scab in and play the rest of the game. Player power can only get better from here right?

The NFL is truly a monster out of control fed by millions of people who love it because its played on Sunday or once a week or it's easy to gamble on. I like it a lot also, I admit it. Red Zone changed my life for the better. I am not a slave to the networks who force me to watch the game between the Eagles and the Washingtons because the Packers or the Bears suck. But there's not a doubt in my mind that if it had been up to the NFL, Damar Hamlin would have been dragged off the field like a fallen gladiator and the game would have immediately resumed with a replacement gladiator. Yes that's how much I hate the NFL while at the same time feed it more and more money. Yeah we are all hypocrites. Life is that way most of the time. 

Get well Damar Hamilton. The world is better off with you in it, football or not.

PS---to the thousands of sub human trash that used this near tragedy to push forward your insane anti vax horseshit....Go fuck yourselves with a gigantic needle full of feces. 

No comments: