Sunday, May 20, 2018

U2!


Why U2 took a big left turn on the Experience + Innocence and came to Omaha is something I cannot answer (Warren Buffett maybe). But thank the rock gods they did because last night was another U2 experience 15,000 people will never forget. The last time the Irish supergroup came thru town was on the Vertigo tour back in 2005 and I scored a ticket on the floor and came within 5 feet of Bono and within a foot of slapping his hand. I was old then yet felt so overcome with emotion at that concert I was like a teenager idolizing another human being. So unlike me.

This time Max was with me and again on the floor (damn Im even older and my feet hurt) and U2 did not fail to turn a concert into a life event you cannot ever erase from your mind.

U2 opened with 3 songs from its latest album, Songs of Experience, and hey my friends, its a damn fine album. If you want an oldies show go someplace else and watch a U2 tribute band because these guys are still relevant and can still rock. Then came 3 oldies, I Will Follow, Gloria and Beautiful Day satisfying virtually everyone.

Then came U2 telling its story. With a gigantic big screen stretching the length of the arena, you saw old home movies of Bono's mum, Iris, as he sang the song called Iris, launched into Cedarwood Road, the story of the road Bono grew up on, and finally into a slowed down version of Sunday Bloody Sunday which ended the first half of the show (including a short improv of Alabama Song which Max said Bono did cuz he saw me with my Doors shirt on and I choose to believe that fake news). Did I mention we were perhaps 30 feet from greatness?

The second half of the show included Vertigo, my favorite U2 song Elevation complete with a bunch of oldsters like me pumping their fists at a close up Bono, Larry, Adam and the Edge, Desire, Acrobat complete with a devil Bono staring into a vanity mirror expressing the devil's delight in Charlottesville and the President being distracted by "stormy weather", acoustic versions of You're the Best Thing About Me and Staring at The Sun complete with megaphone and scenes of Nazis and Klansmen MAGAing and Bono yelling "This is not America" before launching into Pride where under scenes of MLK Jr he hollered "This is America".

Back to the main stage for two new songs (sorry casual fans) including American Soul with a gigantic American flag unfurled behind the stage. And then it ended with City of Blinding Lights (wait THAT is my fave U2 song).

The encore had One and then it became so claustrophobic on that floor that I couldnt take it any longer and I had to leave dragging Max with me. Floors are war zones at concerts. You are squished together, you have drunks falling into you, you have people holding their phones up taping the entire goddamned concert, and you sweat like Donald Trump tweeting on his gold toilet. Its not fun after about 2 or so hours. At least for old people like myself.

But about U2. Bono is Bono. He's a legend and I believe to be a genuine saint. The Edge is a unique guitar player. His sound is his own and it never can be duplicated (sorry Coldplay). Larry Mullen is a great drummer. I enjoyed watching him up close. But Adam Clayton and his bass is the glue to this whole band. Like Charlie Watts with the Stones, without Adam Clayton U2 does not exist. His bass on City of Blinding Lights is unforgettable. His bass lines on anything are unforgettable. I dig Adam Clayton a lot, and I am not a bass guy.

Im sure there are some who dont like political at their concerts. This concert was political in the same way true religions are political. Its all about doing what is righteous.

U2 is righteous.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Agreed! I saw them from the floor about 10 years ago in San Diego! I was floored (Ha!) and my feet hurt! I was with Fergal who like any good Irishman insisted he was cousin to at least half the band!

Max's Dad said...

I finally got control of my feet and my bad ankle about two days later. Worth the pain I agree. My inner Irishman also felt a connection.