Saturday, May 19, 2018

Arturo Sandoval!


There are trumpet players who changed music forever. Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, Wynton Marsalis to name a few. I am in awe of each of them as the trumpet is the jazz instrument that I love more than anything. Yeah, you have your sax enthusiasts, your keyboard enthusiasts your percussion fans and there may be a bass fan out there but the trumpet is the man to me. From the first time I heard a recording of Louis Armstrong not being a clown I was hooked. Ive seen Dizzy live. It was a religious experience. Ive seen Dizzy deal with a heckler (who the hell heckles Dizzy?) with a well timed 'Yo mama". Ive seen Wynton Marsalis numerous times and again it was like being in a church that means something.

I dont that much about Arturo Sandoval. I know he's a legend. I know he has a Presidential Medal of Freedom which because Obama presented it may be rescinded by the current Traitor In Chief. I know he's from Cuba. I know he plays my favorite instrument. Thats about it.

Arturo Sandoval and his band graced us with his presence last night here in the heartland. Sandoval, at 69 years old, idolized Dizzy Gillespie, and his latest tour makes sure we all know that. Called the Dear Diz tour, Sandoval plays Dizzy tunes with a love only he can know. That love entered me as soon as I heard Sandoval blow that trumpet. Oh my god, what a talent.

Backed by a band of talented musicians, Sandoval wore so many hats I couldnt believe what i was seeing half the time. Trumpeter, keyboards, drums, story teller, comedian, schmoozer this guy has it down. About halfway thru the show the band launched into a funk inspired jam session that was one of the finest 15 or so minutes I have ever seen on a stage. I didnt want it to stop. It was one of those WOW moments you dont expect and when it does end you just exclaim WOW, you cant even applaud yet, and when you finally do realize its over you applaud and stand up and never want that applause to end. The moment is over yet you cannot let it go.

Sandoval told Diz stories, came into the crowd to banter as well as take a break. The audience was eating out of his hand. He said how the trumpet is a killer instrument, no I mean actually kills you and why he plays it is beyond him. So he sat down and played the piano on El Manicero, another jam session that you didnt want to end. He did ballads, he had his percussion player solo, he told more stories, and then it ended and off he went to Korea.

Lucky Korea.

No comments: