Friday, January 17, 2020

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame!


Just change the name to the Music Hall of Fame. There are two inductees here who do not fit the theme of this pyramid shaped must see building.

We went there last year. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on the shores of Lake Erie. Why? Because its a must for music freaks like me. But theres a lot of stuff there that aint Rock and Roll. Not that I really care. Seeing all the Michael Jackson and Motown stuff was just as captivating as seeing a Kurt Cobain sweater.

The new nominees are listed above and include:

The Doobie Brothers

Duh! Its about time. These guys have been around forever even after Michael McDonald ruined them for a period of time in the 1970s. The first time i saw The Doobs was late at night on a Midnight Special. When the gentle riffs of Listen to the Music started I was hooked. I love the Doobie Brothers. Yet I never saw them until a couple years back at an outdoor venue. They hadnt lost a thing. And the played Eyes of Silver.

T Rex

Glam Rock was just getting started. Bowie and Iggy and the New York Dolls. And then there was T Rex led by a sparkly Marc Bolan. I mean come on, who doesnt like 20th Century Boy, Jeepster or Bang a Gong? Bolan died in the 70s in a car accident but his influence remains.

Depeche Mode

Never got it. Liked some of their songs. Always thought they were French.

Notorious B I G

Im old and white. Im pretty sure he isnt rock and roll but that fight has been over for years.

Whitney Houston

OK great voice. Pop singer galore. Sang the best National Anthem ever. Died like a rocker of drug abuse in a bathtub. How Jim Morrison of you.

Irving Azoff and Jon Landau

What do they play? Landau is credited with making Springsteen popular when he proclaimed "I have seen the future of rock and roll and his name is Bruce Springsteen". Azoff is a Ticketmaster hack.

Nine Inch Nails

I think Trent Reznor is a fucking genius. Now that he's a soundtrack guy and wins Oscars confirms it. If the music behind the Watchmen series didnt contribute to its success, then youre wrong.

Nine Inch Nails is Trent Reznor and a bunch of hired guns when you see them in concert. In 1991 I was celebrating the end of hair bands and totally in love with grunge. Then I got ahold of Pretty Hate Machine. Goddam. Who is this maniac?

The Downward Spiral came out in 1994 and Closer entered my brain. And Closer has never left. Its still a song I cant get enough of. The obscene lyrics dont matter. Its a scream. A Primal scream that ends with a cord. The video is genius. The Downward Spiral is genius.

Seeing them in concert remains to this day the LOUDEST experience ever. My internal organs rattled. I couldnt get away from the rumbling. I started in the front row of the floor within 20 feet of the band. I couldnt take it. I moved to the back of the floor. I couldnt take it. I moved to the side of the stage. Nope. My innards still moved around. I couldnt hear for two days. It was goddamned glorious .

Trent Reznor not only belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he belongs in the Life Hall of Fame.

No comments: