Thursday, September 12, 2019

Hamilton!


It finally came here to the sticks. The hyped up experience of a hip hop look at American history with Black and Hispanic and white performers playing various roles in telling it. A three week run in of all places, Omaha. Could I wait? I had no choice. Yet I didnt really look forward to it. It couldnt possibly be that good.

First of all let me state one reason I was not looking forward to it. The venue sucks. The damn near 100 year old Orpheum Theater is a cramped ancient shithole made for 1927 sized people. Im not even talking about the obesity epidemic that has scourged America, Im talking about being 6 foot two and having your fucking knees under your chin for 3 hours. The place is a nightmare for anyone over 5 foot 10. Your knees cant help but hit the back of peoples heads in front of you at least once. Christ you cramp up unless you try and move your legs a bit. The place is a nightmare. I've avoided events I want to see just because the event was taking place at the Orpheum. But for Broadway I will endure.

Hamilton is virtually sold out for its 3 week run here in Omaha. Omaha is what you call an event town. If its an event, this city goes. I'm not sure if its city pride or a reason to brag to your social buddies how hip you are. Everything that comes here with a lot of hype sells out fast. College World Series, Olympic Swim Trials, Hamilton. We have season tickets to the Broadway series and have seen a lot of theater with half full houses. But this? Wow. Can it live up to what I expect? Cynical me says good lord no.

Going into the theater you must serpentine your way through the endless number of people posing for selfies with the Hamilton marquee over their shoulder. Then comes security where you put all your items into the plastic box, walk thru the metal detector and then get wanded. It WAS 9/11 after all and thanks for reminding me. The lobby is jammed. The souvenir stand is inundated with the youth who MUST prove they were there with an overpriced t shirt, bag or hoodie. I so want that hoodie!

Cramming ourselves into the seats (thank god for the aisle) and wait for the thing I'm already hating start. The stage is simple. Just like youve seen in clips. The crowd is buzzing.

How does a bastard orphan son of a whore and a Scotsman dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the middle of the Carribean by providence impoverished in squalor grow up to be a hero and a scholar?

Its on. The crowd goes wild. Its a young crowd, probably has memorized the lyrics, and has the energy that most theater doesnt have. Oh not that ridiculous staged dumbass crowd that fucked up the NBC Live JC Superstar, its more rock concert like. But still, Ive heard this opening a hundred times myself. Still have my nose in the air, cuz I have no room for any other position.

Aaron Burr, sir. Still shuffling in my seat. But tapping my cramped foot

Then came My Shot. I am not throwing away my shot. Hey yo, I'm just like my country, I'm young, scrappy and hungry.

I am in. This goddamned thing is good. Its really good. Really good. The crowd cheers loudly after each song.

Then came Wait For It. Wait for It is a song sung by Aaron Burr halfway through the first act. It made me sit up, forget my uncomfortable situatioon and really listen. Its truly a great great song with wonderful lyrics. Death doesnt discriminate between the sinners and the saints. Burr screams for relevance much like Judas did in JC Superstar, my absolute favorite musical of all time. This has gone from really good to great in one song. And we didnt even have the main Aaron Burr. More later.

Act One ends soon after Yorktown, another brilliant song in which "Immigrants, We Get The Job Done" gets a HUGE cheer from this young crowd. My goodness I wish I'd know that line was coming.

Then..........Act 2....A purple clad Thomas Jefferson sashays out to What'd I Miss? And this play goes from Great to Brilliant.

There's more. The Room Where It Happens. The Cabinet Battles. The 3 appearances by a progressively more Mad King George. Wow Awesome made me LMAO as the kids say.

And then 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and its over. The World Was Wide Enough. Who Lives Who Dies Who Tells Your Story.

I cannot say enough about this experience. It DOES live up to the hype. It DOES make you want to read about history. It DOES make you stand and cheer not wanting it to be over. You immediately want to see it again. There arent many things that make me react like that.

Highlights

Pierre Jean Gonzalez played Burr. He was a marvel. And he isnt even the main Burr, he was a stand in. My gawd he was the man. And though this play is called Hamilton, this was Burr's play.

Warren Egypt Franklin as a Prince like Thomas Jefferson was someone you couldnt stop looking at. Even when off to the side he was who you looked at waiting for him to jump back in.

Erin Clemons and Ta'Rea Campbell as the Schuyler sisters. Voices of angels. Absolutely stunning in their delivery.

Marcus Choi as Daddy George Washington. He kind of hangs around a lot. Throwing in lines here and there and THEN. Choi belts out One Last Time and rises up to take charge. Brilliant.

Neil Haskell as King George provided a LOT of comic relief. He made me laugh. Lin Manuel Miranda knows his shit. WHEN to slip in the comedy. Lah dee dah dee dee dee dah dee dah.

Joseph Morales as Hamilton. It took me a while to warm up to him as my old ears couldnt quite make out his lyrics. But he won me over eventually and he is great also.

Hey look, I am naturally skeptical of hype. It never lives up to the pub. This did and does.

Lin Manuel Miranda wrote this play with hip hop, ballads, rock and jazz music. It really is all over the place musically. Something for everyone and thats why this play will endure forever. My favorite musicals of all time are JC Superstar. Come From Away and Les Miserables. THIS definitely has gone to the top.

Beg borrow or steal to see it. And at least read Wikipedia to get up to speed about Hamilton, Jefferson and Burr. It will make it even more enjoyable.

The World is Wide Enough.

No comments: