Saturday, August 3, 2019

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood And Another Movie!


I cannot stand Quentin Tarantino. I love Quentin Tarantino. There's my dilemma. Ive seen most of his movies, both hated and loved them, yet still have this love/hate problem. Lets all agree they are ALL over the top, feature horrific violence. and drop too damn many N bombs.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is not any of those. Its a perfectly understandable story. Using real life people in fictional situations (this is NOT history folks) the movie moves like a Western in its storytelling and back story to explain what is going on.

Leonardo DiCaprio stars as soon to be washed up 1960s actor Rick Dalton. Dangling to his career by his fingertips, Dalton plods along in Hollywood guest starring on TV Westerns and detective shows. Accompanied virtually everywhere by his stunt double, Cliff Booth, played by Brad Pitt, Dalton struggles to remain viable. With tons of 1960's TV and commercial references, it is right in the wheelhouse of people my age. I cant count the number of times I broke into a smile over some dumb ad I remembered or a TV theme playing in the background.

Dalton lives in they Hollywood Hills right next door to Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie). Uh oh. We know whats coming. When Booth keeps running into a young hippie girl hitchhiking, flirting with that Brad Pitt grin, we all know what lies ahead. Eventually circumstances are right enough for Booth to give the chick a ride. To the Spahn movie ranch. The tension of that few minutes of screen time makes this movie worth it. Booth doesnt give a shit, he's afraid of nobody, and he explores the ranch on his own terms despite meeting Tex Watson, Susan Atkins, Squeaky Fromme, Leslie Van Houton, Patricia Krenwinkel and finally George Spahn. Nope, no Manson, he is seen in one scene for a few seconds and thats it. Which to me is brilliant.

Look the movie takes a typical Tarantino rewriting history turn towards the end but as absurd as I thought Inglorius Basterds was, this turn actually makes sense. And like it or not, this isnt Leo's movie, its Brad Pitts movie. Pitt is the best second banana Ive seen in maybe forever. His character is dominating. As they used to say back in the day, he's a mans man. A total bullshit free force of nature on the edge of igniting at any moment. But when he ignites, its as calm as a gentle rain. Pitt should be remembered at Oscar time.

The film has cameos galore that may mean nothing to anyone younger than 55.. Damian Lewis could do a Steve McQueen biopic based on his one scene. Dakota Fanning is frightening as Squeaky Fromme. Bruce Dern even makes the most of his one scene as George Spahn.Margot Robbie as a naive like Sharon Tate is great.

Quentin Tarantino , much like David Lynch did in The Straight Story, can make a perfectly watchable film without any misgivings. I loved it.

Now Hobbs and Shaw. Because they were pounding on my roof all day and driving Max and I and the dog nuts, we also went to the latest Fast and Furious chapter. Ive never seen a Fast and Furious movie in my life, being above all that and all. Until now when Im not. Thanks roofers.

Hey it is what it is. The Rock and Jason Statham mug their way through this movie about saving the world from a killer virus. Lots of idiotic violence, lots of insults, lots of I hate you and you hate me moments. But ya know what? It works.

There was enough self deprecation, winks and nods and genuine suspense I cannot state I wasnt entertained. Idris Elba was the villain. Another villain much like Killmonger in Black Panther, he's a bad guy with a somewhat noble purpose. But he's bad and must be stopped. And of course he is eventually stopped. Sorry for that spoiler.

Like I said, I have never seen a Fast and Furious movie so when Helen Mirren shows up I almost exclaimed what the hell is SHE doing in this? I still have no idea, I assume she was in one before and had I seen that one I would have exclaimed what the hell is SHE doing in this?



No comments: