Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Cher!


When you get a $20 groupon to get tickets to see a living legend you grab the opportunity. Cher! Ive never seen Cher, never really had the desire to see Cher, but at my age what the hell.

Nile Rodgers and Chic opened the show with a barrage of hits you didn't see coming. Wait he wrote that? And that? Rodgers is a hit machine with songs he wrote and produced for Diana Ross and David Bowie, Daft Punk and of course his own band, Chic. The 50 minute show was a hoot, a throwback to the late 70s funk and disco played by real musicians and damn good musicians. Horns and guitar, a kick ass drummer and a keyboard player who performed Lets Dance with a perfect imitation of David Bowie. Two wonderful singers who could belt out the high notes and take it down to the soul vibe of Rodgers slower songs. Nile Rodgers is a genius from way back, and his personal story of overcoming cancer was inspiring.

Cher!

Hey look, I love Cher. I was a 10 year old boy who didn't really know why but I found Cher very fascinating. She was one of the reasons I knew I liked girls. When the Sonny and Cher show was on, the family watched it. Cher was hot, sarcastic, funny and baby she was my type. A strong woman who didnt take shit from that dweeb Sonny. Little did I know she was not strong and Sonny was a dick.

When I turned into a young adult Cher became a clown to me. Wild hair, questionable choices, overrated acting, she was I hate to say it, irrelevant to me. And it stayed that way for years. But then came the night when she went head to head with one of my heroes, David Letterman, and won. Holy shit, she upset Dave? Ok then, Cher is hot and sarcastic and strong again.

Last night, Cher came to Omaha and put on a 90 minute show that covered a legendary career both in songs and in film. Opening with Womans World and proceeding along thru Strong Enough then came what could be argued was the highlight of the show. Cher told everybody to sit down and began a 15 minute story that went thru her life with Sonny, tax troubles with the IRS, her 40th birthday and the 90's encounter with Dave. Hey, the woman could do a one woman show and I'd go. Write a damn tell all book, I'll read it. The woman is fascinating. I was 10 again.

She sang with a film of Sonny, she did a trio of songs from ABBA, they showed a montage of her movies, she did Elvis, and ended with the re-creation of the If I Could Turn Back Time complete with her bare ass.

This show is worth a Groupon. In fact I feel like, dollar for dollar I won big here. No 73 year old in the world can do what she does. Cher is it, man. If I could turn back time, I'd go back and love her forever. I got uou, babe.

1 comment:

Just Kevin... said...

Funny, watching Cher was one of the reason why i knew i liked boys. Hard to believe we were watching it together!