Monday, June 11, 2018

Tonys!



Sorry Michelle, when they go low we go high was the reason we're in this mess now. Ive been saying it for years. Theres no reasoning with these people. And its about time somebody said so. Michelle Obama had to say what she said, I mean who really wants the First Lady to launch into an obscene tirade about a political party nominating a goddamned treasonous degenerate. ME, thats who! We need more DeNiro, not less.

I watch the Tony Awards not because I know a damned thing about Broadway but because its a helluva ride. Years ago it was the occasional gay kisses that went out on national TV. Or as the gays call them, kisses. It was rare, sad that it was rare, but it was. Knowing that someplace, somewhere, a conservative bigot just had a gripping moment of eye opening reality made me very happy. Now of course it doesnt even register on the radar and thats a damn good thing.

I also watch the Tony Awards because i have an interest in theater. Being in the middle of the country, red state America, we dont have much of that sort of thing. Oh we have a season of traveling Broadway that fascinates many of us, but its usually older plays and musicals that have worn out their welcome on the The Great White Way and have taken to the road. The Tonys tell me whats coming here in about 5 years. It also makes me familiar with many folks who arent in movies or TV but stick to the stage.

Angels in America made a comeback on Broadway this past year. Ive only seen the HBO version, but if I ever get 3 or 4 days in New York in which I have nothing to do except sit in a theater, I'd love to witness all 24 hours of it, or however long it lasts. Like rock bands, old is better to me because Im old. Revivals of Carousel or The Iceman Cometh would be my cup of tea. But watching the Tonys made me familiar with Spongebob Squarepants, The Bands Visit and Mean Girls. It also made me happy when Laurie Metcalf won a Tony since she got screwed out of an Oscar.

The Tonys were enough of an inspiration when the drama department of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School appeared on stage to sing Seasons of Love from Rent. That was going high for the few sane Republicans out there. About as high as you can get while the lows made cracks about killing the wrong kids.

Waiting for Bruce Springsteen was excruciating. He always makes us wait. But I stuck with it because its always worth the wait.

Then came Robert DeNiro. DeNiro grabbed us all and took us where we need to go. Right into the piss filled gutter to fight it out with an enemy of democracy willing to do anything to keep power and privilege. I cheered because I certainly can read lips when someone says "Fuck Trump". The standing ovation was invigorating even if it is a choir being preached to. The leader has been found.

When they go low we go high? Fuck that.

Oh and Bruce was worth the wait. Loved the knowing grin at DeNiro.

No comments: