Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Tom Petty!


Well some say life will beat you down
Break your heart, steal your crown
So I've started out for God knows where
I guess I'll know when I get there

Well he got there. Tom Petty died and part of me went with him. Like John and George, like Jim and Jimi, like Roy and Del, like Waylon and Johnny, like Kurt and Layne, like Warren and David, like Leon and Greg, the death of yet another rock star has bummed me out like Ive lost a relative.

Tom Petty first came into my life when I saw him on Midnight Special or something back in the mid 70s. Hey, who is this guy? Hes the 2nd coming of Roger McGuinn and the Byrds. Breakdown was the song. And that began a long stretch of music from a man with something relevant to say. When he tells the whole wide world to shove it, or makes Stevie Nicks actually listenable during Stop Draggin My Heart Around. sings in the greatest supergroup ever, sings about the good girl who loves Elvis and Jesus, just rocks out in a bizarre fashion, or lays it out there that 0, Tom Petty never let me down. Never. But the song that hit me hardest and still makes me lose a connection to the horrible reality of the world is the one about Learning to Fly.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
Coming down is the hardest thing

No shit, Tom. Thanks man.

No comments: