Wednesday, July 21, 2010

From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters!



Way back when I was a kid I would tune my transistor radio to the left, then to the right, and eventually if I stood on one foot and hung my arm out the window, I could pick up the sweet sounds of Halsey Hall on WCCO radio in Minneapolis and listen to the Minnesota Twins play ball in far off Cleveland or New York or at home in Bloomington. It was heaven. The Twins were good (except in '66 or '68 when Killebrew got hurt in that All Star Game in Houston) and contending for most of the seasons of my youth. I longed to see them in person.

In 1967 the family went to Minnesota to visit my Uncle Dick and a trip to the Met(ropolitan Stadium) was in order. I will never ever forget it. Despite my Uncle Dick losing the tickets (in his watch pocket?), we went from the old Thunderbird Motel to the Met and saw the Twins knock off Boston 5-3. Harmon Killebrew, whom I idolized then and now, knocked a double off the left field fence and Dave Boswell threw a 5 hitter. I can see it all now. Though that season broke my heart, I can still remember crying when Boston won the pennant on that dreary fall Sunday at Fenway on the last day of the season, that trip to the Met was one of my top 10 childhood memories.

I usually saw the Twins in subsequent years in Kansas City and when they started to really stink after Billy Martin self destructed, I even drifted into Oakland A's and Chicago Cubs land. When the Metrodome sucked the Twins indoors I was done, done as Max says with the Twins. Who the hell plays baseball inside? The freaking Mariners? The Astros? The Bluejays? Not my Twins. I ignored them for well over 25 years.

Two years ago I relented and the family went to the wretched Metrodome for the first time. The Metrodome was every bit as dreary and cement-ified as I thought it would be, but Max got a free Justin Morneau jersey out of the deal and I got to see the Twins play in Minnesota for the first time since 1967. Despite the Dome, I fell back in love with a baseball team. The Minnesota Twins were my first love in the 1960's and I dumped them because they went inside? What a beast I am!

Last Sunday afternoon, we went to the brand new Target Field. OMG! This place is absolutely wonderful. Easy to get to, fan friendly, it is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Sitting in the outfield overhang (I love to sit in the outfield, that's where the real fans sit, sorry Jack :))we watched the Minnesota Twins come from behind, score 4 runs in the bottom of the ninth, and win the best baseball game I may have ever seen. Certainly the best MLB game I've ever seen. Surrounded by loudmouth White Sox fans, naw they were fine, this was everything I expected and more. Just beautiful. The only ugly thing I saw was Nick Blackburn's 6th inning.

Go to Target Field. That's all I can say. Have yourself a walleye sandwich at the Loon, a beer or two at the game, and just enjoy the day. Minneapolis is so lucky to have this palace. Now if those Vikings could ever get out of that concrete prison, Minneapolis would be perfect.

2 comments:

Jack Jodell said...

Max's Dad,
This post was amazing on a number of levels. First, I had extended an invitation back in May for you and I to hook up together for a Twins game TODAY! At the time you said you didn't know if you would be able to make it up here this summer, so I replied for you to let me know by about 15 June. When I didn't hear back from you, I assumed that your schedule or circumstances wouldn't permit a visit. But now I see you were just here and at the ballpark on Sunday, a mere 3 days ago! Wish I'd have known ahead of time...

Well, I'm glad you saw a winner (we won today, also).

I, too, loved the old Met Stadium and your accounting of that HEARTBTBREAKING loss in Boston at the end of the 1967 season is a memory I have never forgotten either. 1 game away from the World Series, with Dean Chance on the mound and a 2-0 lead, and then it all collapsed as Boston scored 5 times to snatch the A.L. title (with us and Detroit tied for 2nd, each only 1 game behind; the tightest race ever). I was crushed!

My tickets are all spoken for the rest of this season, but if you're going to be in town next year, let me know...I'm in section 215. GO TWINS!!!

Max's Dad said...

Jack, it really was a great time. It was kind of a spur of the moment deal. Tickets off Stub Hub, a last minute hotel, the whole deal. Loved it. Thanks again for the offer. Go Twins!