Friday, August 11, 2023

Hamilton (Again) !


 The first time I saw Hamilton I was skeptical. Even though I'd tried and failed to obtain tickets back when it was just an off Broadway sensation in a Harlem theater, the hype, the devotion, the kids who knew every word just made me be my typical cynical self. 

Then I saw it. And goddammit I had to wait for it. Wait to see it a 2nd time which we did during the same run. Then it came back and we were there once again. It gets better every single time.

Hamilton came to Lincoln, Nebraska for a two week run and I had no intention of going. Until on a road trip and bored driving and listening to the same old classic rock on went the Hamilton soundtrack. By the time we got back, I had purchased tickets to see it a 4th time. Why? Well ya only live once and the aforementioned it gets better every time.

The cast was different except for the Washington character played by Marcus Choi who we have seen knock it out of the park again. 

You all know the greatness of the musical. I won't describe it yet again You either get it or you don't and if you don't get it that's fine. I'm not here to judge but sorry, you're missing out on great music, great lyrics, fun lyrics and the history lesson you probably need. 

Almost an entire cast of people of color works their ass off delivering a powerful lesson on American history updated to be relevant to today. It's not judging and it's not ignoring the times. Passing references to slavery and immigration (the immigrants get the job done line still gets applause) along with political philosophies still debated today, the play simply doesnt stop being great. 

Hamilton is no saint. Jefferson is no saint (but one helluva lot of fun) and Burr is a jealous milquetoast politician trying to be liked by everyone. All of it is covered. Hamilton's wife and sisters in law never fail to impress and of course, the three songs by King George are well received and a great humor break in a serious time. 

See it if you can. it, if you dont get it or like it, leave at intermission like the two people in front of us who actually googled "what is hamilton about" before it started. They were baffled by all of it. 

I was baffled by them.

No comments: