Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Chicago Dog Treat!


 Did I ever tell you about the time I drove to Chicago to see a baseball game and it wasnt to see the White Sox or the Cubs? Well, read on of you wish.

I havent been to Chicago since the pandemic hit and it is perhaps my favorite city in this country. The drive there is long and it involves the long slog across Iowa which is absolutely the worst and Ive been thru Eastern Colorado. Yeah I know Nebraska is no pleasure drive but its home and I know it like the back of my hand. Familiarity breeds acceptance.

Theres a team located in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont that has a name that cant be beat. The independent league Chicago Dogs. They are named after the greatest hot dog ever invented. There a damn Weiners Circle at the stadium for chrissakes. I couldnt wait.

The traffic in Chicago is crazy. Tailgaters, junkers, speeders, semis, crazy people its all there for the enjoyment of facing immediate death. It's a thrill ride indeed. 

Since I am alone on this trip (who in their right mind would want to travel 500 miles to watch a baseball game with 25 to 35 year old men not in great shape hanging on to a sport they love? Uhhh me) Im slumming it. Cheap motels, cheap eats, risking death. Ah hell its been a full life right?

The Motel 6 in Schiller Park is definitely cheap. But at less than $50 it comes with some risk. The other people staying there. Oh yes, there were some shady characters, but nothing of any consequence. Beer drinking at 4pm in the so called courtyard? Knock yourselves out comrades (they were speaking Russian or something).

The stadium is a short drive and its brand spanking new. $3 to park in a garage and there you are right next to it. Impact Park. Its a clean facility for sure. It should be its about 2 years old. 

Impact Park is a modern ballpark with a walk around concourse. The ticket price is reasonable and you can sit anywhere you wish on a Tuesday night so buy the cheap $9 ticket and then sit in the $18 seats. I didnt know this so I spent the $18 and sat where I was supposed to like a good sheep. All alone in a section on the aisle with a great view of the "action".

Remember what I said about the 25-35 year old men hanging on to a dream? Well yes they are, for Dog sakes the Dogs manager uses a walker to come to home plate (hey its ex Red Sox 2nd baseman Butch Hobson). The game was good. The ballpark is so small lots and lots of home runs were hit (its 294 to right and 312 to left in honor of the area code and the highway that passes over the bullpen). The game was just over 2 hours (thanks to the greatest rule change in baseball  history the pitch clock) the Dogs won 16-8 over the Cleburne Railroaders (yeah its in Texas or something).

The Chicago Dog was heavenly, but boy did it kick my ass (an extra Prilosec when I got home). The Leinenkugels Summer Shandy was also heavenly as was the weather. It was in the 70's and I'd forgotten how chilly Chicago can get . 

This may sound like hell to most but to this guy and his love of the sport it was fantastic. 

Back at the Motel Moscow, the Russians (or whatever) were still partying and one said something to me as I walked by (I think it was a friendly greeting) I said Hi and walked by hoping I hadnt insulted them by not stopping for a shot of moonshine. I lived.

Onward to Davenport Iowa.

No comments: