Thursday, September 22, 2022

Max Esq!


 For many many years my Dad wanted to be a lawyer which explains how he knew every defense attorney in Omaha and I got a lot of cool interviews in journalism school. But Dad had things like World War II and life get in the way and the next thing ya know it was too late. I had similar experiences. Well not exactly similar but life got in the way, I wasn't smart enough to be a lawyer for one thing, it wasn't a passion at all, and I wanted to expose the corrupt in journalism. Yeah didn't work out.

25 or so years ago Max came along and the ultimate life got in the way. My only passion became getting him through life without  screwing him up so bad he became me. Max was smart. He read at age two. He could explain things better than I could at age 5. He sailed thru school with an ease I could only envy. He got a scholarship to the University of Nebraska. He sailed through that with as close as you can get to a 4.0. Then he got yet another scholarship to law school. 

I wouldn't say it was clear sailing on that. The pandemic pretty much screwed that all up. But Max pushed on. His passion became NOT being some guy looking for a cushy job at a private firm helping rich people avoid taxes or a job putting people in prison. He worked hard at helping immigrants get visas or getting to stay in this country. His passion was evident. Helping his fellow man, especially the ones with no voice.

Max was sworn in this week as a full fledged licensed attorney in Nebraska courts and federal courts. He begins his work at the Public Defenders office next week. Helping the ones with no voice. Some would say defending the scum that preys on us all if you were a GOPer. But in this nation, for now anyway, even the scum need a voice. Max will be there to give everybody a voice.

I am Max's Dad and I couldn't be more proud. Somewhere someplace I hope my Dad is too.