Monday, January 25, 2021

Jack!

This is becoming a death blog. I'm sick of it honestly. 

Our sweet terrier mix, Jack, had to be sent to the rainbow bridge today due to chronic conditions that finally had progressed too far to bring him back again. Jack, a wildman in his prime, had slowed considerably in the last year or so. He had become blind, he had diabetes, he had anemia, but he had love and it kept him going.

Jack was truly a dog with many lives, a will to live, a fighter, a dog who loved everyone once he could smell your hand. 

Jack ran down the stairs as I lay at the bottom with an Alex Smith like broken leg and jumped in my lap to lick my face and say it was going to be ok. From that moment on whenever I went down those stairs, Jack would wait at the top of the stairs until I got back up the stairs safely. He was a good boy.

Jack was indestructible, or so I thought. He ran into busy streets, he chased bicyclists, he ran off a deck and fell 20 feet chasing a squirrel resulting in a hurt leg, he walked off the same deck when he was going blind and I thought for sure he'd finally managed to kill himself but when I looked down to see a dead dog, I saw a dog peeing like what what'd I do? He got into a fight with some creature who scratched his eye practically out. Jack was defying death at every moment.

But today death won. We are devastated at his sudden decline. Just last nite he was begging for food, eating his treats, jumping into his favorite chair, going outside to pee every 10 minutes and being Jack. But this morning he lost control of his hind legs, he gasped for breath, he couldnt sleep, he moaned in pain and we knew it was time. Jack was 13 and a half years old when he left us. I will miss him forever.

He was Jacko, Jack Man, Jackie Poo, Jackson Von Jackson, my main man. He was a great dog,

He was a great friend. A good boy. All that any dog strives to be. 

No comments: