After my hospital stay was over, and I was placed on meds, Max's Mom contacted the Sphere to see if the unused tickets could be transferred to Thursday. They graciously said yes.
Off we went to the Sphere to see this classic event. The staff there was helpful in not making us walk up steps but instead let us in the VIP entrance and take the escalator up to the nosebleeds.
The place is phenomenal. Full of distractions, entertainment and things to pose for selfies in front of. The escalator seems to go on forever as you head for steerage. The steps are steep and getting to row 13 was not fun for these old fogies. But we made it and sat, hoping to never get up again. WRONG! Being on the aisle meant constant standing and stepping out onto the steep staircase. Ok great.
The movie begins right on time which is good but also means the late arrivers will bug the shit out of you for a good half hour. What is so hard about being on time? Pet Peeve #1! The place is full of every type of person, the most diverse crowd Ive ever seen. The people in back of us spoke no English. There was a healthy pot full of blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, men, women, children, old people, young people, people dressed as characters. It is great to see. However, why is a small percentage of any crowd such narcissistic assholes? They get up to leave during the film, they come back climbing over everyone to get back, they show up late and climb over everybody. Christ its annoying.
The film experience itself is stunning. This cynic was in from the get-go. The huge screen, the special effects, the tornado scene where the leaves fall, your seat shakes, and the wind blows. It's unlike anything I've been to. And I loved it. The apples fall from the ceiling when the trees pelt the 4 characters. Yes, Max's Mom got one dropped right in her lap. Finally, the poppy scene where it starts snowing drops dishwashing liquid on you. Too bad it almost immediately melts or I'd have preserved it and taken it home. And Margaret Hamilton is the greatest screen villain of all time and I'm not going to argue about it. She just is.
Despite the fact the movie has maybe a half hour cut from it (Its very obvious) it is still as great as ever and the Sphere screen makes it like seeing a concert.
It ended and I wanted to see it again. We sat there to allow the crowd to disperse. I relived my old drunken bar days as workers started yelling you gotta leave. However, it was worth every penny when I saw Max's Mom crying happy tears during Somewhere Over The Rainbow. That made my irregular heart soar like a hawk.
One tip. Do not walk outside. It'll send you into A Fib. Walk thru the Venetian. It's all inside. Had we known that, the hospital stay may have been avoided, however, I'd have never known of my problem.
Would I go again? Of course.
But quite frankly, I would kill to see Metallica st the Sphere. I would only wound to see the Wizard of Oz again.
Go if you can. You will be happy AF.

No comments:
Post a Comment