Friday, February 2, 2024

Jesus Christ Superstar!


 I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar at least 8 times, from community theaters to Broadway touring shows , the movie from 1973 and even that horrid version they showed live on NBC years ago. I will never miss it if its close because it is my favorite musical of all time, and I don't apologize for it. The first time I heard the album I was fascinated as it challenged the years and years of Catholic propaganda that I found not only boring but also reeked of bullshit. I often say I learned more about the New Testament in 90 minutes listening to that album than all the years of antisemitic Catholic dogma blaming the "Jews" for killing Christ. 

I've seen the legendary Ted Neeley as Jesus many times and the late OG Carl Anderson as Judas. I've seen In Living Color lead singer Corey Glover as Judas. I've seen understudies, community theater actors and singers all of whom knock it out of the park. Last night at the Lied Center in Lincoln, a non-union touring company began a 4-night run. No idea what to expect. On one hand the non-union cast is hungry and scrappy to get a SAG card, yet they are basically still amateurs. What to expect?

Greatness is what we got. A minimal stage taking no attention away from the music. A band onstage in the rafters. Dancers onstage making moves I didn't think possible. And a cast with a classic musical in their hands. They did not disappoint.

I won't go over the plot as everyone knows it. The last few violent days of Jesus' life. You may think of Jesus as the Messiah, the Lord, your savior, good for you. To me he's one of the most radical political figures of all time. A man of the people taking on the establishment for the common good. And of course, they killed him for it.

The musical shows Jesus' doubts, his struggle with being human, his willingness to stare the oppressors in the grill and not back down. As Caiphas says "one thing I'll say for him Jesus is cool". The coolest.

The cast is brilliant. Jack Hopewell as Jesus has a voice range that has to be seen to be believed. He's a mini Neeley. Elvie Ellis as Judas has that same range and the emotional chops to make his rage believable. Jaden Dominique as Mary Magdalene can also do her thing and crushes I Don't Know How To Love Him to wild applause. Alex Stone as Pilate, Alec Diehm as the flamboyant Herod, Sherrod Brown as Simon the Zealot all shine in their moments to solo. But the 4 priests, led by Grant Hodges as Caiaphas and Mekhi Holloway as Annas, are phenomenal. When they march down the ramp onto the stage you know something special is about to happen. And it does.

Go see this if you can. The violence of the 39 lashes, the actual crucifixion and the betrayal of Jesus by Judas and Peter are hard to watch. But watch you must. 

These kids are fantastic. It's as good as it can possibly be.

Just give them their SAG cards.

No comments: