Saturday, November 26, 2022

Mickey Joseph!


  I am going to go all provincial today. 

Yesterday the 2022 University of Nebraska football season came to a merciful end. As I've stated before, been a fan since 1963, loved most of it, in my DNA blah blah but this last 5 years have tested my loyalty. They just plain suck. It's become a chore to get up and drive to Lincoln, fight traffic, find parking, sit in a cramped 100 year old concrete uncomfortable stadium, watch a team of stumblebums, and then fight traffic all the way back to Omaha. Yeah some of it is my age, some of it is every game is on TV, some of it is covid and some of it is it's just not that important to me any longer but I keep doing it.

Today a new head coach was hired. A guy named Mark Ruhle , a coach who turned around programs at Temple and Baylor then failed miserably at the NFL. So I guess one of the most storied college football programs in history is in the Temple-Baylor camp. "Wonderful " leadership the last few years, put us here right?

I don't know what Ruhle will do or won't do since I have a mediocre track record on coaches (Callahan no way Pelini no way Riley I like it and Frost yes yes yes!) but what choice do I have? Support the guy until the next millions of dollars buyout is forced upon us. 

I wanted Mickey Joseph to get the job permanently. He got it on an interim basis back in September. He went 3-6 in his tenure. They played better. Only Oklahoma blew them out. They beat Iowa for the first time in 7 years. He was truly a guy who got a pile of garbage dumped in his lap and told to clean it up fast. Well as far as I'm concerned he did. But he has no loud bells and bright lights and glitter dropping from the heavens to most Husker fans. Paying $9 million to a guy who gives people hope and more importantly keeps the money spigot on is priority ONE. We all know how this works. And an interim coach who's earned a shot isn't going to please the masses.

Thanks Mickey! I doubt if you will stay here, but you are the best coach we have had since 2003. Good luck man!

No comments: