Saturday, June 18, 2022

Paul McCartney!


 The cute one is 80. Oh my god. How can this be?

Happy Birthday Sir Paul McCartney still going strong at 80 and sharing stages with the only guy close to being John. Bruuuuuce.

Paul was the prick. He was so single minded, so business oriented, so dominating, so genius, there is no way he could survive being one of four any longer.  He had to spread his Wings and be the sole voice and talent , No more listening to George's well meant hey what about me's or John's sarcasm and devotion to not only making music but having fun doing it. So Paul left the most life changing band ever. It wasn't Yoko who broke up the Beatles, it was Paul needing to be left alone to do his thing. Thats not a bad thing by the way. Like a rock star who dies at 27 cementing legendary status forever, Paul simply let the Beatles die when he was 27, and moved on to make his own path.

Paul has many flaws. Some of the things he did after Wings was trash. Some of the things he did WITH Wings was trash. McCartney seems to have so many things going on in his gigantic mind at once sometimes he cant distinguish the pebbles from the diamonds. He doesn't understand that Say Say Say or Ebony and Ivory is different from Juniors Farm or Band on the Run or Eleanor Rigby. Its all genius to him. Because he thought of it. 

Dont get me wrong, despite a good 25 years of me dismissing Paul as a not serious person once John had been taken from us, I realized how wrong I was. I remember saying to people in 2005 that McCartney at the Super Bowl halftime was the bottom. Old guy (62 or so) hanging on by a thread. Then I saw it. I saw HIM. Drive My Car, Get Back, Live and Let Die and then of course Hey Jude. What the hell was wrong with me??? It was absolutely brilliant and I was back onboard.

Max became a Beatles freak when he was in his early teens. Listening to them incessantly and expressing an interest in seeing Paul "before he dies". Before he dies? Oh shit, how about before I die.

We saw him at the Sprint Center in Kansas City in 2010 (hello Kansas) from behind the stage and in the rafters. Max got into a discussion with the guy next to him who seemed fascinated a mere child could be interested in this guy. Then Venus and Mars Rockshow started and the legend came onstage and began a 2 hour show of pure excellence. And then the masterpiece started.....McCartneys guitarist began singing....I read the news today oh boy....then ......woke up fell out of bed dragged a comb across my head and maybe for the first time EVER I truly believed, yeah I can drop dead right now and die a happy man. A Day in the Life live? Never in my wildest dream.

We have seen Paul numerous times since and he's a force still. The greatest still alive. Happy Birthday Paul, you've made THIS guys life richer. And keep doing 1985 because its the best Wings song ever.


No comments: