Saturday, April 24, 2021

Red State Racing!

 

Hey its been a long month. 2021 is arguably better than 2020 but not yet. I am fully vaccinated as is virtually everyone I know. I still wear a mask in public but a trip to rural Nebraska on Friday showed me a whole different world that I really want no part of. I hadn't seen a live horse race in 6 years since the old Lincoln Race Course closed down and being off work allowed me to take a 2 hour trip to Central Nebraska and a run down horse track called Fonner Park. 

Fonner is probably the finest track left in Nebraska as the powers that be in leadership roles in this ass backwards state attempt to take us back 100 years to a time of hardship and Calvinism. While the Governors and legislators live in luxury the rest of us are required to submit to a state full of guns, Jesus and nothing much else. But Fonner Park remains. And as long as it does, I will go.

The fans of this dying sport are few but rabid. They show up. The last time I was at Fonner was 25 years ago. Lincoln is much closer but that track is no longer. Omaha's track is a tiny little crowded building with no barns and about two weekends a year which brings out everybody in town making it an unbearable situation to this claustrophobic fan so I dont go.

The fans in rural central Nebraska were many. Not packed but there had to be a couple thousand. I was masked and looked at like I was a space alien. 99% of the people wore no mask, drank like fish, and screamed and yelled like it was 1999. No pandemic, no danger, no cares. It was uncomfortable as hell, But I am vaccinated and more than 2 weeks out so I stayed. I was surrounded by people who all looked like they'd proudly stormed the Capitol back on January 6th. Picture that crowd of rabble. This is what it looked like here. Maskless men in baseball hats, goatees, and who looked like waving a T***P flag would be right up their alley. The women the same. Rural aint my bag man.

The races themselves were entertaining to me even though they consisted of broken down elderly horses running for their lives. Its my jam. The cruelty of the sport notwithstanding, not one horse broke down, not one horse collapsed, not one horse ran into trouble. It was a good day. 

Except for the red state denial and lack of humanity. I liked the horses better .

2 comments:

One Fly said...

I had to quit watching the movie "Nebraska" because it was as real as Iowa is as well. Never returning for anything.

Max's Dad said...

Nebraska was very real, Almost disturbingly so