Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Husker Football!

 

My Dad took me to my first Nebraska football game when I was 6. I dont remember that much about it because it was in the 1960s and I was 6 but I do remember it started a 35 year father son bonding over a goddamned football team. I dont even like football that much. Of the 5 major sports it ranks 5th with me and if the NFL got sued out of existence it wouldnt bother me at all. 

But Nebraska football? Its really the only sports team I honestly have an emotional bond with. I grew up watching them. I went to the University and actually went to class and graduated from there. I watch them play football every week and even though they suck, I still keep coming back for more.

 I have season tickets and go in person every chance I get. Trust me, its a pain in the ass as I get older to endure the traffic, the crowds of younger and younger people drunk off their ass, the shitty weather and the losing. but I endure because quite frankly, they are family to me. So when the Big 10 called off fall sports today, including football, I was actually happy. Happy that my family was being looked after because they sure as hell wont look out for themselves. 

Nebraska football is big business in this state. It fuels the economy of its home city, Lincoln, and it makes a shitload of money for this University. Its the pride of this state which really doesn't have that much to offer. Yet, this Covid 19 pandemic is taking control. Because this state and its piss poor leadership did absolutely nothing in March when this killer virus started, we are in this position now. No fucking football. And as usual, with the Republican mindset in this state, reality is still being denied. We're gonna play anyway is the mantra coming out of the University, the Governors office, the Regents office, the coaches office and the locker room. Who they gonna play? Uhhhh The University of Mars? The Omaha Balloon School? Nobody knows. But dammit they gonna play somebody cuz what the hell else is there to do around here?

They will defy the $51 million they get from the Big 10 conference they just joined a few years back to be the cannon fodder for the Ohio States and the Michigans and the Wisconsins of the football world. They will play anyone at anytime, no matter how outclassed they or the opponent might be. They will let fans into the 90,000 seat covid dish called Memorial Stadium and take their money. They will play football and aint nobody gonna tell them what to do. Nebraska, the mask deniers of college football.

But of course, NONE of this will happen. $51 million is a lot of money to risk over a game thats been cancelled by your boss who has forbidden you from playing. Nebraska will throw a tantrum and guffaw and huff and puff and their 2020 football record will still end up at 0-0. Because in the world of college athletics, risking money is wayyyyy more important than risking lives. The lives are unimportant. You can always recruit more lives willing to risk their health and future well being for instant gratification.

I will miss Nebraska football. I really will. But its not worth it. I gave up my tickets this year before they cancelled the season because I had no intention of going to a game due to oh I dont know, common sense. I had no intention being around screeching maskless droplet spewing fanatics while this virus exists in this  denial State.

So to the 2020 football season I say after a 5-7 season last year, a .500 season is progress, even if its is 0-0.

Sidenote---despite the objections of a band of maskless kooks spouting off conspiracy theories and bad science and general nuttiness, the Omaha City Council passed a mask mandate today. Lincolns positivity Covid rate went from 8% to 5% after that city defied our moron Governor and passed a mask mandate. Omaha;s rose to 11% for kowtowing to our idiot Governor. Maybe the future is brighter here now.

No comments: